If you lamestains are unfamiliar with the epically awesome, underrated and (unfortunately unknown) 90's band SEAWEED, you need to fix that issue IMMEDIATELY. In the interview that I did with Bob Nanna of Chicago's 90's post-hardcore band BRAID (which you can download above), Bob filled me in on the super legit fact that Braid toured with Seaweed in the late 90's! Here's some other fun facts about this need-to-know band:
1) Seaweed started in Tacoma in 1989
2) Seaweed rocked the grunge scene, releasing three albums off Sub Pop
3) Seaweed played Lamefest
4) Seaweed played Calvin Johnson's IPU (International Pop Underground Convention), which was a 6 day festival in August 1991 that included 'GRRRL DAY,' or the first day of the event, organized by members of Bikini Kill & Bratmobile GRRRL DAY was a total Riot Grrrl day followed by 5 days of extreme grunge awesomeness
5) CHARLES PETERSON (the famous grunge photographer) photographed Seaweed
6) Seaweed bridged the gap between grunge and early punk/emo - they played THE FIRST WARPED TOUR EVER 1995! alongside L7, Quicksand and Sublime
7) Seaweed opened for Green Day & Bad Religion on a couple of occassions
8) Seaweed played with ALL OF THESE BANDS, plus many more...Superchunk, Geek, Mudhoney, Melvins, Snuff, Helmet, Samiam, Into Another, Quicksand, Supersnazz, the Fastbacks, the Supersuckers, Supergrass, Rocket from the Crypt, Hot Water Music, Modest Mouse, Treepeople, Bivouac, Candlebox, Drive Like Jehu, Fugazi, Orange 9mm, L7, the Didjits, Love Battery, Rein Sanction, Pond, Cornershop, Truly & the Cosmic Psychos
9) Seaweed covered Fleetwood Mac on the Clerks soundtrack
10) Seaweed played shows that were documented by FRANK KOZIK (the famous poster artist)
11) Seaweed was featured on Beavis & Butthead!
WELL, there you have it. Check these guys out NOW! You'll thank me when you're obsessed.